- Does the workshop last for five full days?
- Do I need to have any previous knowledge of filmmaking to attend?
- Do I need my own camera?
- If I want to purchase my own camera, how do I choose among the variety available?
- Do I need to have Final Cut Pro on my own computer?
- If I wanted to buy Final Cut Express HD, which version should I buy?
- Can I bring my own computer?
- What should I bring with me to the workshop?
A: Yes, the workshop will be 9-5, Monday through Friday. Lunch is included, and coffee and tea will be provided during the breaks. In the evening you will have the choice to come back to watch a film at the end of each day.
A: The workshop tutors are professional filmmakers and can offer you thorough advice on all your options. The equipment that best suits you depends on how you intend to use it. It’s best to speak to one of the tutors on the course to discuss what’s best for you.
A: There is a shorter version of this editing package called Final Cut Express, which is very useful and affordable with the HE discount at Apple ( store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/education_routing). We use Final Cut Pro at OUCS as it is better to learn more on this professional kit. This will enable you to go on to take exams in Final Cut Pro, but you do not need to use your own computer on this course. The editing package might be something you would consider buying in the future. OUCS does have editing facilities, as part of its Help Centre, which can be booked.
A: It is best to have the most up to date version. To ensure that this version is compatible with your computer, please refer to the following website for full technical details: www.apple.com/finalcutexpress.
A: We would prefer you to use our computers in our fully equipped Apple teaching room. We can then be sure that you have all the correct versions of all the required software. If you would still like to use your own computer, it is your responsibility for purchasing and installing the software required for the course. Our lecturers and technicians are not able to install the software for you.
- A plastic bag
- Good walking shoes
- An umbrella
- A rucksack to carry your things, if possible, so both hands can be free when filming.
- Your own camera, if you have one and would like to use it. Camera and editing equipment is provided if you don't have your own.
- A notebook and pen. You will receive a CD of handouts and references of everything on the course, from camera techniques to editing with Final Cut Pro, so don't feel you have to make notes all the time in class.