1. Supporting the University
The Banbury Road Data Centre houses many vital IT services for the University,
The data centre also houses essential equipment for other departments, ranging
from Molecular Biology to the Bodleian Libraries and Business Services and
1.1. Data Centre Security Policy
A Data Centre Security Policy operates for access to, and working within, the OUCS Data Centre.
2. Planning for the Future
The Banbury Road Data Centre is now over thirty years old; the cooling and power
capabilities of the data centre are currently running at full capacity. Much of
the existing infrastructure needs to be replaced to ensure that University
services remain housed within a reliable and resilient facility.
OUCS has received funding to plan the refurbishment of the Banbury Road Data
Centre. The refurbishment has three key objectives:
1. To greatly improve the existing facility and to bring it up to international
standards so it may complement the new Shared Data Centre (USDC) at South Parks Road.
2. To provide a greater degree of resilience for business critical IT systems
through the availability of two modern data centres at different sites (the
Banbury Road Data Centre and the USDC).
3. To increase capacity whilst lowering the cost per square metre of energy
usage and therefore saving the University money and contributing to the
University's environmental sustainability strategy.
For further information please see: Refurbishment of the Banbury Road Data Centre
3. Data Centre Team
The data centre is managed by the following team:
- Data Centre Operations Manager: David Birds
- Senior Computer Operator: John Howard
- Senior Computer Operator: Colin Bartlett
- Operations Supervisor (evenings): Annie Martin