26. KBNIX0003 - "ANS4042E Object name ... contains one or more unrecognized characters and is not valid."
If you wish to back up files with names containing special characters
such as symbols and diacritical marks, but are failing to do so, you need
to ensure the backup is run with appropriate localization settings. To make sure
every file is backed up we recommend the use of the "en_US" language setting. With
other settings such as C, POSIX, or UTF-8, some special characters will be skipped.
||When backing up, you see one or more instances of the error message
'ANS4042E Object name ... contains one or more unrecognized characters and is not valid.' Scheduled backups nonetheless complete, but not all files
get backed up.
||The en_US locale is not installed on the problem machine.
- Check the en_US locale (en_US.UTF-8 is insufficient) is installed on your machine with:
locale -a |grep en_US
On some Ubuntu machines this locale is not installed by default and can be added with:
sudo locale-gen en_US
On other distributions you may need to install additional language filesets, most likely related to ISO8859-1 or ISO8859-15.
- As the root user, please edit the files
/usr/bin, by adding the following lines immediately above the
final 'exec' command:
- If you are running TSM 5.5 or below then you need to restart dsmcad. To do this please run the following command
- If you are running TSM 6.1 or above then instead you need to restart the TSM scheduler. To do this please run the following commands
After the next backup, check your
dsmerror.log files, located in
failures. If failures persist after making the changes described above,
please send a copy of the following files to email@example.com:
In addition please send the output of
the 'locale' command, run as the root user.
Up: Contents Previous: 25. KBNIX0002 - "ANS1501E Trusted agent execution/owner permissions are invalid". Next: 27. KBNIX0004 - "connect_test() returned an error code 5" or "ANS5155E Valid password not available"