There may be times when a desktop or even a laptop may take on a role that requires more frequent backups than the
weekly backups offered by the standard desktop backup schedule. The options
available will depend on whom the node is registered to:
- Run frequent manual backups as required - any HFS user can run manual backups as and when required.
- Request to be moved from the weekly backup schedule to the daily backup schedule. This option is only
available to nodes registered to IT support staff and only available if the client is now acting as a server in some capacity.
- If you are not ITSS registered and it is essential that this node is scheduled to backup daily,
and is now acting as a server,
then you can transfer ownership of the node to your local ITSS, who can then manage the node (you may remain as
contact, but not account owner). Please speak to your local ITSS to discuss this further.
2. How to change from weekly to daily backups
Please note that you can only register for the daily backup service for
servers if you are ITSS registered.
Backups for the daily backup service for servers are stored on
physically different machines from those managing the weekly desktop backup
service. For this reason our general approach is not to move the backups
but rather to keep any existent backups and allow the machine to make fresh backups to the
other server. Once this is completed, the node and old backups on the desktop server are
The move is managed through the following steps:
- First, ensure that you have current backups of the machine you wish to move on the
desktop backup server - this is just good practice, and there is no risk involved in moving from weekly to daily backups.
If necessary run a manual backup before proceeding.
- Login to the registration pages and choose the
Move a computer from weekly to daily
backup option - this option is only available to registered ITSS. Then select the machine(s) to be moved. The process will
transparently re-register the selected machine(s) for the daily backup service.
- The HFS Team will receive notification of the move and will manually lock access to the current
backups for the machine(s) on the desktop backup server - this is to ensure that fresh
backups go to the daily backup server.
- Disable and delete any TSM scheduler
services running as these will need to be reconfigured later. Please follow the appropriate instructions depending on
whether you are running Windows, Mac or Linux:
Windows: use our
delete services program
- If you have the option to Run, then do so, otherwise Download/Save the file and run the exe locally.
- When prompted click on
- You will be advised that "1 file(s) unzipped successfully"; click
- The script will now automatically run: follow the on-screen prompts.
- Mac: follow our Mac instructions for
stopping the TSM scheduler.
- Linux: follow our Linux instructions for
stopping the TSM scheduler.
- You will need to configure the client to point to the TSM daily backup server. The location of
the configuration files can be found in the table below:
One configuration file will need to be edited: on Windows this is
Table 1. Config File Locations
|Mac OS X
/Library/Preferences/Tivoli Storage Manager
dsm.opt; on Mac and Linux machines it is
dsm.sys. It must be edited as follows:
Save the file and test connectivity by running TSM.
- Now start to manually back up the machine to the new TSM server. Remember that TSM will now recognise
this machine as a new machine and therefore the backup may take a while. Pay particular attention to sending less than 200GB per day to the TSM
- Once you have run a manual backup over the required local filestore, but not before, you can configure and start automated scheduled backups.
- Follow the instructions for setting up scheduled backups for Windows, for
Mac or for Linux/Unix.
- Finally, and importantly, once it is clear that the machine is backing up
successfully in its scheduled window (daily), please contact us again at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know that we can delete
the old backups on the desktop TSM server.