7. Meeting Strategic Objectives II: Learning and Teaching — Programmes and Methods
OUCS seeks to develop ICT where it supplements existing teaching methods, especially the tutorial system. This is the main approach of another of its units — the Learning Technologies Group (http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ltg/). With reference to IIb, via its Academic Computing Development Team, the group develops innovative projects alongside academics. Throughout 06/07 one of these projects will be the setting up and development of a Tutorial Reporting System, an initiative led by senior tutors at colleges and funded in part by the HEFCE E-learning Innovation Fund and by college contributions.
Elsewhere, under the WebLearn team (the University’s central VLE — see section 11), the Learning Technologies Group is directly working on an e-portfolio system in collaboration with the Graduate Skills Committee and the University’s Careers service (IIb, and IIg).
- Launch the Tutorial Reporting System (OxCort) as a pilot service, and then as a full service. Target date: MT 06 (pilot), MT 07 (full service). Cost: purchased by colleges and E-learning Innovation fund. Development costs partly met by ACDT, but annual maintenance cost thereafter £10-15k.
- Develop and promote the use of the VLE WebLearn (see section 11 below).
- Research and implement technology that provides teachers and learners with assessment technologies that increase the quality and ease by which questions can be authored and subsequent marking performed (IIb).
- Research and implement technology that allows learners to share and express their understanding. Specifically this could be through the use of blogs and wikis or through more advanced shared graphical simulation technologies (IIc).