1. Summary of the department’s remit
The Mission Statement of OUCS is:-
- To provide high-quality and cost-effective IT services
that meet the needs of the University and its
- to contribute to the University's wide range of IT
training and relevant training resources;
- to foster and support excellence, innovation, best
practice, and value for money in the use of IT in teaching,
learning, and research across the University;
- to promote effective communication throughout the University IT community.
OUCS will fulfill its Mission:
- By operating, developing and supporting the University's primary computing infrastructure and services including facilities such as the network backbone and its external connections; central email, web, news, and backup servers; and other core university-wide support services including security and anti-virus support;
- by fostering the effective use of IT in all disciplines through the provision and development of training and courses, learning and teaching resources, and by such activities as negotiating advantageous arrangements for the supply and maintenance of hardware and software etc.;
- by actively supporting the work of, and collaborating closely with, IT Support Staff within the University;
- by developing centres of expertise in relevant areas relating to the application of IT;
- by promoting and demonstrating good practice.
OUCS consists of a series of groups (below) and externally funded research projects. The former consists of the following with a total FTE of 115 (including the Office for Director of IT) plus 10 FTE funded by external projects.
- Information and Support Group which contains the Information Systems team, Registration Services, the Research Technologies Services, and the IT Support Staff Service;
- the Infrastructure Systems and Services Group which includes System Development, the Operators, and the HFS;
- the Networks and Telecommunications Group which includes Networks, Security, and Telecoms;
- our Technical Support Services, which contains our Network Systems and Services Team (NSMS – self-funding);
- our Learning Technologies Group, in charge of training, the VLE, and e-learning research and development;
- senior management and admin support.
OUCS also hosts
c. 10 FTE of the ICT Support Team.
Up: Contents Next: 2. Vision, and summary of the department’s main objectives