1. 9 South Parks Road

The first home for the Computing Laboratory was 9 South Parks Road, near the corner of St Cross Road and South Parks Road. It had been intended the they would move into 19 Parks Road but that was still fully occupied and the University had to find them somewhere else to go.

A twenty year lease was acquired in 1957 but the building had to be converted to laboratory space before it could be occupied. They needed:

  • A room large enough for the Ferranti Mercury Computer
  • An extra strong floor to take its weight
  • Adjacent rooms for the on-site, full time, Ferranti Maintenance Engineer
  • Extra rooms for preparation of programs
  • Offices for staff and research students
  • A small lecture theatre
  • A common room
  • A library

The building alterations were finished in June 1958.

The garden was maintained and used by the Department of Botany. It joined with the Department of Agriculture and the School of Forestry to become the Department of Plant Sciences in 1980s.

1960 Space had started to become a problem. The verandah was filled in to allow for new equipment

Staff and computers moved to 19 Parks Road in 1963.

9 South Parks Road has since been demolished to make way for Experimental Psychology and Zoology

Front of 9 South Parks Road
Figure 1. Front of 9 South Parks Road
Front of 9 South Parks Road
Figure 2. Front of 9 South Parks Road
9 South Parks Road from the corner
Figure 3. 9 South Parks Road from the corner
Back of 9 South Parks Road
Figure 4. Back of 9 South Parks Road
Zoology building
Figure 5. Zoology building

Up: Contents Next: 2. 19 Parks Road

Sections in this document: