The mirror service supports various IT operations by providing local copies ("mirrors") of selected software sites and other internet repositories. Local mirrors typically offer fast downloads, do not depend on the availability of networks beyond Oxford, and reduce the load placed on our JANET connection and the source sites.
The service currently carries several popular Linux distributions and a number of open source software projects including CPAN and CTAN. It is intended to carry primarily technical resources, however non-technical sites may be mirrored if there is demand.
A full service description is available from http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/services/mirror/.
Users should seek support from their local ITSS in the first instance. Local ITSS may refer a user to OUCS, or contact OUCS on behalf of a user. Users and ITSS may always contact OUCS about any aspect of the service.
- 9am - 5pm on weekdays: the service operates with full technical support.
- All other times: the service operates without technical support. Automated service monitoring will take place, and informal arrangements exist for staff to be notified of exceptions, however no funding is provided for contractual cover or guaranteed response.
- Exclusions: service maintenance carried out during the JANET maintenance period (7am - 9am every Tuesday).
2.4 This service is classified as "critical" to University business and will be recovered as soon as possible after services that it depends upon have been recovered. Target recovery time is within 24 hours.
2.8 Notification of scheduled maintenance, service disruption, and other information of general interest in relation to the service will be circulated on the itss-announce mailing list. Service status will normally be reported on http://status.ox.ac.uk/.
2.9 Support requests and fault reports relating to the service should be sent to the OUCS Help Desk.
- Regulations Relating to the use of Information Technology Facilities
- JANET(UK) Statement of JANET acceptable use policy
- CHEST Code of Conduct for Site Licensed Software and Datasets
- University Policy on Data Protection
- Any local policy defined by the unit from which you use this service