Training and Development in and around the University
National Bodies offering Training for the HE community
Courses run by commercial organisations
- Microsoft Certification - ITS Feda, SkillSolve, C7 Solutions, PTR Associates
- Novell Certification - ITS Feda, MindWorks
- Solaris - First Alternative, PTR Associates, SUN
- Linux - First Alternative, PTR Associates
- Perl & Java - Well House Consultants, First Alternative, PTR Associates
- Tcl/Tk, Python - Well House Consultants, First Alternative, PTR Associates
- C, C++, C# - First Alternative, PTR Associates
- Visual Basic - see the Microsoft Certification trainers above
- Intranet/Internet/HTML - PTR Associates
- PHP, MySQL - Well House Consultants
- Oracle - First Alternative, PTR Associates
- Informix - PTR Associates
- SQL Server - see the Microsoft Certification trainers above
- Apache - Well House Consultants, First Alternative
- DNS, Email, Newsgroups, List servers - Well House Consultants
- TCP/IP, Voice over IP, LAN fundamentals - PTR Associates
- Framemaker, Firewall, StarOffice, Samba - PTR Associates
- Something not listed ... not all the companies listed below have links from this topic section ...
Commercial Organisations running courses
- C7 Solutions, based on Culham Science Park, they specialise in Microsoft, Oracle, Check Point and Nokia certification..
- First Alternative have a training centre at Harwell, a short taxi ride from Didcot station. Their Solaris courses are considerably cheaper than those run by Sun and cover as much, if not more, material although they do not lead to certification. Make more than one booking on the same purchase order, for the same person or several, for a 10% discount.
- Global Knowledge - Nortel, Enterasys, Compaq, Entrust and more
- HP Education Services - HP-UX, Linux, OpenView, MPE/iX, E-services
- ITS Feda are based near Bristol and run courses in Bristol or at your
own site if you have the appropriate hardware. They offer cheap academic
prices on most of their courses and have a discount scheme of 10% off
publicised academic prices for Oxford University members. They can
arrange overnight accommodation and free transfers to the train station
at the end of your course. Contact Training@itsgroup.org.uk or 0870 145
1600 and mention the 10% discount. They are Microsoft Gold Learning
Solutions Partners, Novell Gold Training Partners, Linux Professional
Institute Approved Training Providers, Apple and Adobe Authorised
Training centres (Apple courses only available on customer sites) and
members of the Institute of IT Trainers. They will also run customised
courses on demand and sell exam vouchers and vendor certified self study
resources. They are generally the cheapest of the companies listed
- Learning Tree - Some interesting titles like LAN Troubleshooting but I'm not sure they how good their technical and hands on aspects are. Anyone got any comments?
- MindWorks - Known particularly for their Novell courses, they do good stuff on Linux and Microsoft too. Courses can be arranged in Oxford if there is enough demand.
- Net Connect - Internet Security and security products such as Floodgate, Firewall, MAILsweeper, etc.
- PTR Associates in Wokingham, near Reading offer educational pricing through negotiations with Eduserv. They run MCSE courses.
- Q Associates - Delphi, Cobol, data and voice networking, Lotus Notes, Compaq, etc.
- SkillSolve - a Microsoft Certified Partner for Learning Solutions - is based in West Hagbourne near Didcot, offer Technical IT and Development (.NET) Training courses in Microsoft, Cisco, Citrix, and Macromedia. SkillSolve is also a VUE Testing Centre. For University members they offer a 30% discount off their retail prices.
- Oracle offer Solaris courses.
- Well House Consultants run courses in Melksham, Wiltshire. Reviews have been consistently brilliant and Graham, who teaches most if not all the courses, knows his stuff inside-out, back to front and upside down. He has run several courses at OUCS for ITSS. There is no set discount but say you are from Oxford University and that Jane Littlehales sent you. Highly recommended.
If you know any other companies covering topics not listed or who are local, or if you have attended a good, bad or indifferent course, please let us know.