Herding Tigers II: Best practice
in e-Learning development
Programme Information, 17th December 2003
Home | Programme
| Arrangements | Participants
This timetable may be subject to some further alterations. The start
and finish times will not change.
9:30 Registration tea and coffee available
10.00 Welcome and outline of the day (Sophie Clarke,
Evaluation (Session led by Martin Oliver, UCL)
10:15 Break-out sessions and general discussion
We will be considering issues such as:
- What are you looking for when evaluating a project and how do you
determine the criteria by which to measure the success of a resource?
- How do we decide which individuals are best suited to evaluate a
- Have you found any good ways of eliciting useful user feedback, and
how do you then ensure that there is the opportunity to review and act
upon what you have collected?
- Can evaluation be a one size fits all procedure that can be used
on every new site?
Learning Technology Standards (Session led by Howard Noble, Oxford)
11:30 Briefing session
The TALL XML development tools project (David Balch, Oxford)
12:10 Get your hands dirty
Practical session with the latest standards-based tools, and discussion
of some of the issues and barriers we face when developing using learning
Accessibility (Session led by Lawrie Phipps, Techdis)
14:30 Break-out sessions and general discussion
We will be looking at issues such as:
- How do you (and your group/institution) define what makes a site
“accessible”? Is the emphasis on adhering to a known benchmark,
or on providing solutions that work with assistive technology?
- Do we as developers fully understand the range of disabilities which
we need to consider and the implications of each?
- Is accessibility a “good thing” in terms of the overall
user experience, or does it contribute to a less “effective”
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of automated checking tools
such as BOBBY and LIFT.
15:55 Briefing Session
New research at Techdis (Lawrie Phipps)
16.15 General Discussion and Close (Stuart Lee, Oxford)