Once you have acquired a suitable news client program, you should configure it to use news.ox.ac.uk as its server. Before you can access the server, your computer must have an IP name registered; contact your local network manager to achieve this.
About 7000 newsgroups are carried at present, and new ones are
being created all the time. The main hierarchies available from the Oxford news server are:
comp,humanities,misc,news,rec,sci,soc,talk,uk. In addition we also carry a local hierarchy,
ox, and a selection of other smaller hierarchies, as well as a selection of groups from
alt. A full list of groups on the server can be retrieved using most news client software.
The group news.announce.newusers contains additional information.
A list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Netnews at Oxford is posted regularly to several local newsgroups.
- Never forget that the person on the other side is human.
- Don't blame system admins for their users' behaviour.
- Never assume that a person is speaking for their organization.
- Be careful what you say about others.
- Be brief.
- Your postings reflect upon you; be proud of them.
- Use descriptive titles
- Think about your audience.
- Be careful with humour and sarcasm.
- Only post a message once.
- Summarize what you are following up.
- If appropriate, reply by email rather than posting a follow-up.
- Read all follow-ups and don't repeat what has already been said.
- Double-check follow-up newsgroups and distributions.
- Be careful about copyrights and licenses.
- Cite appropriate references.
- When summarizing, summarize.
- Mark answers or spoilers.
- Spelling flames considered harmful.
- Don't overdo signatures.
- Limit line length and avoid control characters.
- Please be sensible about advertising.