Personal Connections
The first thing you will need to find out is whether your place of work or college room is equipped with a data network wall socket into which your computer can be plugged. The person who can provide this basic information and then advise you on installing and configuring hardware and software will be your local college or departmental IT support officer.
Connection of university buildings and college properties
All main college sites and virtually all university buildings are linked by optical fibre cable to the University Data Network. Remaining buildings for which a data network connection may be required are mainly remote college properties. It is expected that colleges will address the task of installing data network connections within their remote properties over the next few years once the task of networking the main college site has been dealt with. It is recognised that differing financial constraints and priorities of colleges will make this process somewhat fragmented. If you wish to investigate the options available to install a data network connection to a particular property please contact Alistair James, Computing Services
Sections in this document: