1. General Information
OUCS manages the University-wide ethernet, which provides fast links
between systems, in addition to maintaining the links to the national
and international networks (JANET and the Internet). Support is
available in the form of hardware and software advice, services,
courses, and documentation.
Wireless Networking (OWL & Eduroam)
- The OWL and Eduroam services let you connect to the network around the University wire free!
Internet Telephony and Voice-over-IP (VoIP)
- Want to call home over the Internet? Read our document to find out how.
Peer to Peer Networks - Oxford University Rules
- Using Peer-to-Peer applications? Find out about the University rules and conditions of use first.
- It is vital to keep your own information and computer secure, both for
your own privacy and for the overall security of the University network.
When you are away from the University you can still access your usual resources by
using our Remote Access Services:
Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- Essential software to access local resources when away from the University
JANET Roaming Service (JRS)
- The JANET Roaming Service (JRS) allows visitors from any participating organisation to use credentials
provided by their Home organisation to gain network access at a Visited organisation.
- General information on using commercial broadband services.
2. Services for Network Administrators
2.2. Webauth enabled interfaces for ITSS
- Visitor Network Account Granting Privilege Administration
- Heads of IT can control who is able to give out Visitor accounts for their unit
- 802.1X Device Registration
- Wireless access points and 802.1X participating devices
- OWL Phase 2 Access Point Registration
- Register an access point to be fully managed by OUCS under OWL Phase 2
- OWL Phase 2 Management Interface for ITSS
- Cisco Wireless Control System interface
- Link Status Report
- Backbone network port information
2.3. Online tools restricted to access from within the University network
- DNS updates
- Change DNS records for your unit
- DNS zone listings
- Manually lookup all DNS information for an Oxford zone
- Subnet list
- Show all the University subnets and details on their allocations
- DHCP updates
- Search and register new DHCP instructions
- DHCP deletions
- Search and delete DHCP instructions
- DHCP log searches
- Search through the DHCP lease logs for your unit
- Rogue DHCP servers
- Look for evidence of rogue DHCP servers
- DHCP registration queries
- Search through the dhcp registrations (search option also present on other dhcp pages)
- ARP query
- Find out which computers have been using the IP addresses on your subnetwork.
- IP Allocation Status Tool
- Review the status of your DNS allocation
- IP Allocation Audit Tool
- Review your DNS allocation utilisation
- Current router blocks
- Hosts blocked at the University routers by the security team
- University firewall blocks
- Current University firewall ruleset
- Lost/stolen machines
- Alerts the University when a specific MAC address of a stolen machine is spotted
2.4. Charged networking services from OUCS