Use of the VPN client software is restricted to users of the OUCS Remote Access Service only — see the web page Usage Terms for Software Agreements for details.
In order to use the VPN service, you will need to have the necessary Remote Access Services username and password. For details see the online self registration service page.
Please make sure that you have read the introduction and general requirements, which apply to all VPN clients, before attempting to configure your computer or mobile device to connect to the VPN.
- Log in to the OUCS self-registration pages at https://register.it.ox.ac.uk/self/software
VPN Clientfrom the list of available software. If you have not downloaded the VPN software before you will be prompted to register before you can download it. Once registered you should see the VPN Client downloads page.
- Choose the download that is correct for your version of Windows; for example
AnyConnect VPN Client for Windows 7.
- If you are asked what to do with the downloaded file, choose the option to
[Save]and save the file (called something similar to
anyconnect-vpn-win7.msi) to a convenient storage location on your computer's hard disk. Make a note of the file's location.
- Run the VPN Anyonnect installer that you downloaded. If you used Internet Explorer
to download it you will usually be able to do this by selecting the installer in the
Downloadswindow and clicking on
Run. For other web browsers you may need to browse to the folder where you saved the installer and double-click on it to start the installion.
- You should now have a screen looking similar to the following. To install the
program, follow the on-screen instructions.
- First make sure that you have connected to the Internet as you usually do, e.g. using your home broadband or other network connection.
Start the VPN program via the Start menu. Open the
[All Programs]menu, then select
[Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client]and open the VPN program which is also called
[Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client].
- The Cisco Anyconnect windows should appear by the system tray (near the clock) as
a box showing Ready to connect.
- The first time you run the program, you will need to enter
vpn.ox.ac.ukinto this box and click on
Connect. The program will remember this setting so the next time you run the program it should already show
vpn.ox.ac.ukin the box.
- Once you have entered your username and password, click on
OK. If the connection is successful, you should see an icon with a padlock in the system tray (near the clock on the bottom right of your screen). If you are using Windows 7 or 8 you may need to click on the up-arrow to see the icon.
- If the connection is not successful, the icon will not show the padlock.
- To disconnect from the VPN service, right-click on the
VPNicon in the System Tray.
- On the menu that appears, select
[VPN Disconnect]and click with the left mouse button.
- The padlock will disappear from the icon. This means the VPN connection is
terminated but that the VPN client software is still loaded.
- If you want to reconnect you can right-click on the
VPNicon in the System Tray and choose
[Open AnyConnect]to re-open the program. Note that once the software is installed, in future when you boot up your computer and log in then the
VPNicon should appear automatically in the System Tray. If want to completely quit the VPN client then right-click on the
VPNicon and choose
[Quit]. The icon should then disappear from your screen.
- Note that if your internet connection is interrupted at any time, perhaps because you are using a wireless connection and it has disconnected temporarily, then you may be disconnected from the VPN service. If this happens you will need to re-establish your VPN connection as described above.
For answers to common questions and solutions to any more frequently encountered problems please see the Frequently Asked Questions for Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client web page.