Accounts for this service are available from nominated persons within each department or college in the University. If you are visiting an individual at the University, ask them to obtain an account from their local IT support officer. If you are part of a group or conference, then your group organisers will be responsible for obtaining a batch of accounts and distributing credentials to you.
Please note that the visitor service is provided as a service for Colleges and Departments to deliver to their visitors. It must not be used by members or staff of the University. They must use Eduroam, or use the VPN service to access OWL. Colleges and Departments should note that there is no support available from OUCS for visitors in configuring their devices to use the service. Visitors should not be sent to the OUCS helpdesk for assistance as we will have to turn them away.
- Make sure your device is associated to the
OWLwireless network; no other special configuration is required
- Open a web browser and attempt to view a page on the Internet. You will be
redirected to our secure login site and then asked for your
- We also have some terms and conditions that you must accept before being allowed full access
- Your web browser will be redirected after the log in process completes, either to your original site or the main University website, signifying a successful login
- Sessions remain open for up to 10 hours, at which point you must log in again. This is a security measure, and will continue for the period that your account remains active
- If you switch off your computer for more than 15 minutes, your session may also time out. Use the same web browser method described above to log back in - it may be an automatic login if your browser still has a valid cookie
- When the login credentials are used on a second device, you have to go through the registration process again.
This service will be unencrypted. We strongly recommend that you only use secure protocols when transmitting private information. Establish a secure VPN connection to your home institution, if one is available.
Many email clients are not configured to use secure protocols. Be especially careful when sending and receiving email. The University of Oxford will not be held responsible for loss or theft of data as a result of using an unencrypted protocol over this network.
Please treat this resource with respect. Do not give your username or password to any other person; notify your host or group organizer immediately if you have lost your account credentials. In particular:
- Users are not permitted to use university IT or network facilities for any unlawful activity including unauthorised (re)distribution of copyrighted material.
- The University may bar access at any time to computers which appear to cause unreasonable consumption of network resources
- You must abide by our full IT regulations at http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/statutes/regulations/196-052.shtml
We remind you that the visitor service is provided as a service for Colleges and Departments to deliver to their visitors. Colleges and Departments should note that there is no support available from OUCS for visitors in configuring their devices to use the service. Visitors should not attempt to use OUCS helpdesk for assistance as we will have to turn them away.