4. Scheduling meetings using Outlook 2003
One of the great features of Nexus which can be accessed through Outlook is the ability to schedule meetings with colleagues. You can easily see when someone is free and plan your meetings accordingly. To schedule a meeting follow the instructions below:
- Click on the Calendar option in the Navigation Pane (or press
- To create a new meeting, appointment, or event, you can either click
New(at the top of the screen), or double-click in your calendar. This will open up the Appointment screen. Here you can specify
- The name of the event as it will appear in your calendar
- The place where the event will take place
- One of a set of coloured flags to help you organise your calendar
- Start time and End time
- The beginning and end times, but see below for instructions on how to check the availability of the other participants, if any
- Should Outlook remind you when the event is due, and if so, how far in advance?
- Show time as
- Specify whether you will be
Out of Officefor the duration of the event. For example, if you are entering the date of your holiday, you might want to choose
Out of Office; for someone's birthday you might choose
Free; for an uncofirmed meeting
Tentative; or for an appointment,
Busy. These labels will help others to schedule meetings with you at mutually convenient times.
- Body text
- This is a space for you to add any notes etc. which relate to the event.
- If you want to invite other people to the event, click the
Invite Attendeesbutton in the toolbar at the top. Now an extra field appears above the subject line, labelled
To.... Add attendees in the same way as you would for an email message, either by typing in their address or by clicking on the
Tobutton and choosing people from the address book:
- You can now use the calendar free/busy information of the other
participants to help you choose a suitable time for the meeting. Click on
Schedulingtab. Each participant is listed, including yourself. Items in their calendars are marked as either Busy (full blue bar), Tentative (striped blue bar), or Out of Office (purple bar). If there is no information for a participant (e.g. not a Nexus user), their bar appears white with diagonal black stripes. You can scroll and click in the calendar to choose a date/time, or use the boxes below the calendar. Alternatively Outlook will pick the next available time if you click the
- Once you have chosen the start and finish times, click
Sendto send an email inviting your participants to the event. It will be added to your own calendar as well.
- If you need to change the event later, you can double-click on it in your
calendar to open it. Make your changes and then click
Send Updateto inform the other participants.