5. Step 3: adding details about your podcast to a newsfeed
You can do this using OXITEMS, the University of Oxford's newsfeed system. It provides several kinds of newsfeeds: there are ordinary newsfeeds for items of news, events newsfeeds for storing details about events, and podcasting newsfeeds for storing details about a collection of podcasts.
In each department/college, there are IT Support Staff. The main ITSS person has been made an OXITEMS administrator. He/she can create a podcasting newsfeed. If you have difficulty in tracking down who this is, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org
- First, login to OXITEMS at https://rss.oucs.ox.ac.uk/oxonly/oxitems/
- Then use the Add a media item operation that is given in the menu on the left-hand side of the screen.
- The administrator will have given the
newsfeed some appropriate name such as
running/sandbox-audio. So, on the new screen, select the appropriate newsfeed, e.g.,
- Then use the button labelled add an item to the selected newsfeed.
- On the new screen, type something appropriate to identify the podcast in the Title and Summary boxes.
- In the box labelled Presenter(s), type the details of the people who gave the presentation in the podcast.
- In the box labelled Media file,
type in the URL of your podcast, e.g.,
- It is important that you have the right to make the recording public. Click the Media rights to confirm that you have the appropriate permissions.
- Finally, if you wish, type some categories in the Simple categories box. With some applications that access newsfeeds, a user can categories to search for items. An example is iTunes.
- Then use the button labelled preview the item with the above values.
- And, on the next screen, use the button labelled now add the above item to the newsfeed.
And that's it. An RSS 2.0 version of your newsfeed is now
available at a URL like
running/sandbox-audio is replaced by the
name of your newsfeed.
If you want to add other podcasts to this newsfeed, just repeat the above process: go to OXITEMS and select the Add a media item operation.