The OxPoints dataset consists of names, postal addresses, web addresses and co-ordinates (latitude and longitude) for all the departments, colleges and other buildings/units of the University, along with some of the relationships between them.
We encourage all consumers of OxPoints data to join the firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list, which you can subscribe to by sending a blank e-mail to email@example.com. The list is used for service change announcements and user discussion and support.
Queries not suitable for a mailing list can be directed to the OxPoints team at OUCS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OxPoints is built atop an RDF store, containing descriptions of many entities within the University.
- Site (a contiguous space containing buildings or other such entities)
- Space (a space within a building, including a set of rooms used for the same function)
- WAP (wireless access point)
- Division (academic or administrative division of the University, e.g. Humanities; Academic Services and University Collections)
- Group (a group of people or team working towards some common goal)
- Image (actually in the FOAF namespace)
- foaf:depiction - an image associated with a unit or place.
- foaf:logo - used for the University/College crest images
- vCard:adr - the postal or street address
- dcterms:isPartOf - for subdepartments and places contained within other places.
- owl:sameAs - linking to other representations of the same concept
- geo:lat - the latitude of the entity
- geo:long - the longitude of the entity
- oxp:occupies - a unit which occupies the building, site, room etc
- oxp:hasOUCSCode - the unique code used by OUCS to refer to a unit [list all OUCS codes]
- oxp:hasOLISCode - the pre-Aleph code used by the Bodleian Libraries to refer to a library [list all OLIS codes]
- oxp:hasOLISAlephCode - the code used by the Bodleian Libraries to refer to a library [list all OLIS Aleph codes]
- oxp:hasOBNCode - the unique code used by Estates to refer to a building/room [list all OBN codes]
- oxp:hasFinanceCode - the unique code used by Finance to refer to a sub-unit or unit (also called a two-three code) [list all Finance codes]
- oxp:hasDivisionCode - the unique code used by Finance to refer to a division [list all Division codes]
- oxp:hasDepartmentCode - the unique code used by Finance to refer to a department [list all Department codes]
- oxp:hasITHomepage - URL for the unit's IT information
- oxp:hasWeblearn - URL for the unit's WebLearn presence
- oxp:primaryPlace - the main building/site occupied by the unit
- oxp:hasLibraryHomepage - URL for the unit's Library homepage
The data is stored in an RDF datastore and can be accessed by means of pre-defined query URLs or by constructing more complex queries using SPARQL.
- Returns all the data held within OxPoints.
- The canonical URI for an resource controlled by OxPoints. Returns a description of that resource.
- Retrieves all entities with the type given by
Identifiermay be an OxPoints ID or one of oucs:
code. Multiple identifiers may be separated with a pipe or vertical bar (
- Returns all
Identifieris as described above.
- Returns all
Identifieris as described above.
Relations can be any of most of the predicates used in OxPoints. For example, /title/Keble+College returns all entities called "Keble College". /oucs:linc/occupies returns all places occupied by Lincoln College.
date=parameter. Other parameters are:
- Filters results to exclude those that have the given predicate defined.
- Extends the filter to take into account indirect properties. For example the location of a room would be inferred to be the same as its containing building.
- Adds a function call around the returned data for when one is utilising JSONP with the
- Declares the recursion depth when outputting as
.xml- RDF/XML (default if format not specified)
.nt- N-Triples (a simplified RDF serialization syntax)
.js- Same as
.jsonbut adding a callback given by
jsCallback(which defaults to "oxpoints")
.gpx- GPX waypoints
.tomtom- Data suitable for loading into TomTom satellite navigation devices
.kml- KML (suitable for use with Google Maps and Google Earth)
.txt- Simplified plain text
.csv- Comma-separated values
- All information about the unit with OUCS code 'kebl' (Keble College), in JSON format
- All information about the unit with finance code 'EN' (the Computing Services), in RDF/XML format
- All information about the unit with OLIS code 'BOD' (the Bodleian Library), in RDF/XML format
- All information about the Holder Building (number 154)
- All departments in KML - can be viewed in Google Maps
- Exeter, Jesus and Lincoln Colleges, selected using their OUCS codes.
- All libraries and museums in Notation3 format.
- Everything occupied by either Engineering Science or Biochemistry in Notation3 format.