2. Facilities and Services at the Media Production Unit
In the MPU offices we have three rooms for all to use, each facilitating up to 30 participants, catering for up to one hundred people in total. We run a 24 hour, seven days a week service and can arrange everything for you - all you have to do is turn up, have a coffee and enjoy!
The facilities are available to hire from just £40 per hour. This offers huge savings compared to financing flights, train fares and accommodation, etc. If you like the technology and want to use it more, we can offer attractive discounts.
Other benefits of using videoconferencing include:
- Strategic use can free up your time allowing you to conduct your conferences and meetings from your office or home, day or night.
- To cater for larger audiences during video conferencing PowerPoint slides and visual displays can be projected on a large screen for everyone present in a room.
- Video conferences can take place simultaneously at multiple locations, allowing participants to interact with each other effectively and easily. 3 people in Oxford can interact with 5 people in China and another 3 people in the States, with everyone able to hear and see perfectly. Using our full HD system, images are sharper, and eye contact is not a problem.
- The MPU always test prior to the conference to address any potential technology problems. We have a 0% failed calls rate.
The MPU is the University service for producing broadcast quality video. A crew of up to four can be hired to produce programmes to support teaching, film University or College activities and other important events. We are also available for commercial activities outside the University.
We can produce material compressed for the web or IT projects, or uncompressed in full HD digital broadcast quality for DVD and broadcast purposes. We also have a fully sound-proofed voice over room, which is linked directly to our edit suite
The Media Production Unit can quickly copy and convert your footage to and from most formats, including Beta SP, C-Format, DV Cam, HDV, Mini DV, DVC Pro, Hi-Band Umatic, DVD, and VHS. We can also convert from and to Pal, NTSC and Secam on VHS.
2.5. Video Archive
If you are looking for film footage, the MPU has an extraordinary archive of events, visits and lectures that we have filmed in and around the University of Oxford. The archive also includes a collection of donated vintage archive footage.
Video archive highlights include:
- David Attenborough
- Roger Bannister
- Heston Blumantahl
- Bill Clinton
- Nelson Mandela
- Jackie Kennedy Onassis
- Michael Palin
- Philip Pullman
- The Queen
- The Sultan of Brunei
- Archbishop of Canterbury (Rowan Williams)
- Tim Berners Lee
- Stephen Hawking
- Teaching videos for groups like The Royal Courts of Justice and the Mary Rose Trust