4. Mailing lists
- Please obtain an Ezmlm
mailing list for any routine mailings to more than about six people.
- Distribution lists (where each message carries the address of every recipient)
are inefficient as well as being inconvenient for the recipient. There are also
privacy issues which may breach the Data Protection Act.
- If the Single Sign-On account is only used to support the mailing list, please
ensure that any email it receives is monitored, or forwarded to an address which is
monitored regularly (more than once a month). Email to the society's central email
account will be your only warning that account or password renewal is
- Management of the mailing list is tied to the Single Sign-On username, so the
list will automatically be transferred when there is a change of committee, but it
will be deleted if the account lapses.
- Any general mailing list should have the society's username as list name. Any
other lists should have names starting with the username. This helps IT Services to deal
with any queries from future committees.
- See the following major section for details of mailing list
Up: Contents Previous: 3. Email address Next: 5. Account Expiry