RENEWALS - IMPORTANT.
You must contact OUCS
Registration each year to renew any IT Services Computer
Account for your Society/Club/Publication. Simply renewing your registration with the
Clubs Committee is not enough. IT Services must have explicit confirmation that you wish to
continue using IT Services facilities.
If a student society or publication is not eligible for registration with the
Proctors, IT Services cannot provide it with a computer account.
If sport clubs is not eligible for registration with the Sport Federation, IT Services
cannot provide it with a computer account.
The electronic records held by the Sports Federation and the University Card system
now allow those Sports Clubs which are registered with the Proctors to register for
IT Services computer accounts without the need for additional paperwork.
- Misuse of facilities can be a Proctorial Offence. The Guidelines are intended to
assist Societies to set up their accounts so as to minimise the risk of misuse. There
are Primary Guidleines (essential) and Secondary Guidelines (advisable).
2. Computing facilities available
- Each Society/Club is entitled to one Single Sign-On account and to create the
associated central email account, web page and interactive account, for purposes
relating to the Society's recognised activities. The society will be allocated a
meaningful username, taking into account the society's preference where possible.
Usernames must have between three and eight letters or digits, starting with a letter.
If only a University mailing list is required, a Single Sign-On account must be
registered for the Society and this account will be the owner of the mailing
- The Society web site address is based on the username. For example, the Gilbert and
Sullivan Society has username gands and web site
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~gands. You can include your society in the index
of personal web pages in the same way as for a personal account (
see General Guide To Personal and Societies Web Space
- Email addresses for Societies have the format
3. Procedure for registration with Proctors
- Societies must register with the Proctors before IT Services can provide computing
facilities. Any Society wishing to use IT Services facilities must include on its Committee, an
IT Officer who will have general responsibility for the Society's use of these
facilities, and a Webmaster who will have primary responsibility for the maintenance of
any web site. These officers can be the same person if appropriate for any particular
- The Society's Secretary must submit the form Particulars of a University Club,
Society or other organisation having student members (the
Form) to the Proctors' Office (new registrations) or the Clubs Committee
(re-registrations) and will be sent back a stamped copy of the approved version of the
4. Procedure for Sports Federation
All Sports Clubs are already required to register their Officials and Committee members
by 5th week of Trinity Term each year. The Sports Federation will supply a copy of this
information to the Computing Services, in electronic form or otherwise, as soon as is
reasonably practicable after that date. The information will include the official title of each club,
scheduled date of committee changeover, and full name and (where applicable) college for each officer
and committee member.
Any changes during the year, particularly the closure of any club or the removal of any
officials, should be notified promptly to the Registration by the Sports Federation,
by electronic mail or otherwise.
5. IT Services Registration
Once the Secretary has received the stamped copy of the Proctors' Form, or the
sport club has registered with the federation, the IT Officer should contact IT Services Registration by email. Emails
to IT Services must be from the IT Officer, who is the person with primary responsibility
for the conduct of the account.
Please email in the first instance. If you
come in person and IT Services has not received the paperwork from the Proctors' Office/
Sport Federation data or we have not had time to process it, or a Registration
specialist is not available, your journey will be wasted.
- The email subject should specify "New society account".
- The message should state that you are requesting a new student society
- Please give the full name of your Society as shown on the Proctors' Form
and indicate your preferred account name (between 3 and 8 letters and digits,
starting with a letter).
- You will need a password for the new account - see below.
- The email subject should specify "Society account" and include the account
- The message should state that you are requesting renewal of a student
- Give your Society's full name and state that you wish to continue using
the IT Services account.
- If you know the password and access is only required for the IT Officer
and webmaster, no further action is needed. Registration of any previous
additional officers will be cancelled. IT Services will renew your account and
confirm this in reply to your email. Please note that only ONE person can be
listed for each of these roles.
- If any officers or committee members in addition to the IT Officer and
Webmaster are to be registered to log in to the account, please give name,
college and if possible barcode number for each. Their names must appear on
the Proctors' Form.
- People who only need access to the mailing list, for example as
moderators, do not need to be registered in this way.
- If you need a new password when renewing your account, please say so in
- If you ask for a password and give no special instructions, we will send
it to the IT Officer by University Messenger.
- If you wish to save time by collecting the password in person from the
IT Services Help Centre, we can hold it for you to collect at any time during Help
Centre hours. It can only be collected by one of the registered login users
(preferably the IT Officer) and a University Card must be shown for
identification. Please wait until we reply to your email, to be certain the
password will be ready.