For many years OUCS has been using the University Card itself, and the status on the University Card in particular, to determine access to Computing resources. This page is to document the current processes which are applied.
The University Card provides a clear authorized route for a unit to declare the relationship a person has with them. If there is no room on the card to hold an extra dept or college, then the local IT can request that the affiliation be approved by contacting email@example.com and additional email addresses for example can be set up.
See also http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/registration/univcard.xml for details of OUCS use of Card status
1. University Card Categories
|Card Code||Status||OUCS code||Entitlement Group|
|MC||Congregation (from Register of Congregation)||senmem||full|
|US||University Staff (on payroll)||staff||full|
|FS/FR||Former Staff (on University Pension) approved by a dept or college (FS) or Pensions (FR)||ret||full - exceptions listed|
|AV||Academic Visitor (for one year)||visitor||full|
|GT/GR/(PG)||Postgraduate (from OSS)||postgrad||postgrad|
|UG||Undergraduate (from OSS)||undergrad||undergrad|
|VR||Visiting/Recognized Student (from OSS new 2007)||student||undergrad|
|PT||Part Time (Continuing Education - unmatriculated)||undergrad||undergrad|
|CL/CB||Cardholder (unit 'member', not a University member)||cardholder||cardholder|
|VA||Virtual (card) (giving web) Access ( neither unit nor University 'member')||virtual||virtual|
|Non-card status: leaver||Students in the 6 months after their University Card has expired (not unit or University 'member')||leaver||leaver|
|Primary Oxford SSO account (1)||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|Central Mailbox||yes||yes||yes||no||no||yes||no (9)|
|@unit.ox email address (2)||yes||yes||yes||yes||no||no||no (9)|
|Delegate access to a Nexus mailbox or a Sharepoint site||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||no||yes|
|Remote Access account (eduroam, wireless)||yes||yes||yes||no||no||no||no|
|Own an EZMLM mailing list||yes||yes||no||no||no||yes||no|
|Project account (3)||yes||yes||no||no||no||?||no|
|TSM backup||yes (11)||yes||no||no||no||no||no|
|Library Access/ Ordering from stack||yes||yes||yes||only CB (4)||no (5)||no||no|
|Access to Libraries on-line journals when not in the Library ('shibboleth protected')||yes||yes||yes||no||no||no||no|
|Student Record systems: Student records, OxCORT tutorial, GSS (graduates) (8)||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||no||yes|
|@retired.ox.ac.uk (6)||FS/FR only||no||no||no||no||no||no|
|Software||licenced for staff (11)||licenced for students||licenced for students||no||no||no||no|
|Use of the OUCS Help Centre||yes||yes||yes||no||no||n/a||no (7)|
|Register an external email address||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||no||yes|
|Receives the VC's mailings||yes (not FS/FR)||no||no||no||no||no||no|
1. Primary Oxford SSO username is used to identify you in other systems. It is never issued to anyone else once you leave.
2.The 'email address' is considered to be 'owned' by the unit. OUCS acts as agents for units for whom we route mail. The units authorize OUCS to issue an email address by having an affiliation added to the University Card. Where there is no room on the Card, IT Support for that Unit can request. firstname.lastname@example.org that their unit's email address be added for a person. Email addresses may be re-issued, once it is safe to do so.
3. Project accounts can be created for 'a function' eg senior tutor and the account passes to the next incumbent.
4. Once given, Library access is never removed from a current University card holder. So
there are two categories-
CB with library access and
without library access.
5. A VA person who needs Library access, will get a normal Bodleian Reader Card from the Library with a physical card.
6. @retired can be requested by the person themselves or their IT officer for anyone with an 'FS' or 'FR' university card. @retired is usually requested if it is not appropriate or permitted to keep the @dept email address.
7. Allowed for questions relating to the management of their SSO account
8. Non-students need explicit permission to access these applications.
leavers have forwarding or vacation set up on their mail account,
they will work for the first 2 months after Card expiry
10. Registered addresses for Virtual Access will get transfered automatically overnight to GSS (Graduate Supervison System).
11. FS/FR (retired) are not entitled to TSM backup or software which is licenced for 'staff only'.