2. Guidelines for Issuing Rescue Codes for ITSS and IT Services
It is proposed that we clarify and extend the instructions currently given at http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/registration/index.xml?ID=passwords section 6.4. to cover this new facility.
6.4. How to obtain a Rescue Code
The options from the IT Services Help Centre are
- Visit the Help Centre in person with your University Card to be given a Rescue Code immediately
- Telephone or, preferably, email the Help Centre and a rescue code will be sent to your registered college or departmental address by University Messenger
- If you have an alternative email account registered with IT Services (e.g. on a local college or department mail system) a rescue code can be emailed to you there.
- If you have forwarding set up on Nexus, it can be mailed to you via that route.
- The Help Centre cannot send a Rescue Code to an unregistered email address.
The options from your IT support Officer are
- Your IT support officer may be able to give you a Rescue code directly.
- If you are not in Oxford and none of the options listed above are available. You will need to provide some means of identifying yourself to your IT support staff before a Rescue Code will be emailed to a non-registered address. It is essential that some means of verifying who is making the request is carried out.
- Your IT support staff cannot use the Rescue Code to gain access to your account without your express permission or under written instruction from the Head of Unit