ITSS now have a utility which allows ITSS to
- issue an Activation code
- extend an Activation code
- issue a Rescue Code
We need to define and document the way that ITSS should use these facilities
To put this in context, they can already
- change a persons mail routing
- view routings of other affiliations
- change or delete unit level addresses
They can already have an Activation code/ Rescue code emailed to them.
2. Guidelines for Issuing Rescue Codes for ITSS and IT Services
It is proposed that we clarify and extend the instructions currently given at http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/registration/index.xml?ID=passwords section 6.4. to
cover this new facility.
Guidelines are especially need for mailing Rescue Codes to non-registered email address
6.4. How to obtain a Rescue Code
- To obtain a Rescue Code contact the IT Services Help Centre or IT Support
The options from the IT Services Help Centre are
- Visit the Help Centre in person with your University Card to be given a Rescue
- Telephone or, preferably, email the Help Centre and a
rescue code will be sent to your registered college or departmental address by
- If you have an alternative email account registered
with IT Services (e.g. on a local college or department mail system) a rescue code can be
emailed to you there.
- If you have forwarding set up on Nexus, it can be
mailed to you via that route.
- The Help Centre cannot send a Rescue
Code to an unregistered email address.
The options from your IT support Officer are
- Your IT support officer may be able to give you a Rescue code
- If you are not in Oxford and none of the options listed above
are available. You will need to provide some means of identifying yourself to your IT
support staff before a Rescue Code will be emailed to a non-registered address. It is
essential that some means of verifying who is making the request is carried
- Your IT support staff cannot use the Rescue Code to gain access to
your account without your express permission or under written instruction from the
Head of Unit