- Students mailboxes and email addresses will be set up at the same time as their SSO credentials and students will be invited to contact IT Services to change their email address if they wish to do so in accordance with http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/email/oxford/index.xml?ID=addr
- Email addresses will be taken from the OSS data feed. The process works
reasonably well for Postgraduates, as Graduate Admissions used the addresses during the
application process. However, we need to improve the quality of the external contact
email addresses for Undergrads in OSS. Student Information need current working
addresses for following up on Registration issues. Colleges need to inform
email@example.com when they become aware of any
changes to a student's primary external email address.
Other email issues
- Marshal Scholarship ( firstname.lastname@example.org,) and Rhode Scholars(email@example.com). Currently these programs have a general contact address in OSS. This needs to be the individual's email address for the student by the time we get to SSO creation. Both Rhode's House and Marshall Scholarship have agreed to ensure ensure personal addresses are entered, as soon as a College is assigned.
- Registered email address. For security reasons, IT Services will only email credential information to an address which has been registered to the student either in OSS or approved by the College and is recorded as an extenal address in the IT Services Registration database.
- If there is no email address for a student, or the email address provided fails, the student will not receive their SSO credentials until a working address has been provided. The student will have to contact their College IT or IT Services http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/help/request.xml (and IT Services will have to confirm a new registered address as above.)
- Access to OSS student data. Specialist IT Services staff have Read-Only access to OSS to check registered email addresses.
- Usernames: Colleges have access to lists of the new usernames via their local ITSS.
- Text for the mail messages is published for reference
- Students will start to be Final C'd from 1st July.
- IT Services currently gets a datafeed from OSS containing applicants external email addresses. Visiting and Recognized students are also included
- Continuing Education. Some Continuing Educations students are not in OSS ( approx 255 new per year ) these are "Undergraduate, non-matriculated Courses ". They are issued with University Card type 'PT'. Our contact, Katherine Brown, feels (Jan 2011) that they do not have email addresses for all students in order to develop an automated process, so they need to stay with the paper version. In the long term, these students will be in the OSS replacement.
- Early issuing of privileges One of the side effects of the automated process this year, is that a small group of students (some postgraduates and unconditional offers) who have completed all their paperwork early, could be issued with their Oxford email address, etc as early as the 2nd July. However, by this stage, the student will have signed the University Contract and agreed to abide by all the rules- they have satisfied all the conditions of 'membership'. No issues were reported to IT Services concerning the early issueing- in fact many colleges were pleased to have things in place.
- Mailing details to students will be delayed for 24 hours after account creation, to enable the username data to get to all the places it needs to eg ldap.oak for account activation and OSS (in case they contact Student information).