Oxford SSO credentials are emailed to students in advance of their arrival in Oxford. The
student's account will be created automatically and the details emailed to them as soon as
they have been Final C'd . Final C is the University process
which confirms that the student has satisfied all conditions and has returned the signed
Univeristy Contract agreeing to abide by the University's Rules. It is also the trigger
for the University Card to be created. Account creation will no longer be batched. Because
they have signed their University Contract, they will be fully provisioned at that time -
with their SSO account, email address, and with a status that will entitle them to all the
privileges of that status. This process runs automatically the whole year, so covers
Trinity and Hilary starters as well.
SSO credentials will be emailed to students as soon as they have become 'Final C'
and their University Card record has been created
Even when the Registration window is open, students cannot Register until they have
become Final C, so there is no point creating credentials any sooner.
- Students mailboxes and email addresses will be set up at the same time as their SSO
credentials and students will be invited to contact OUCS to change their email address
if they wish to do so in accordance with http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/email/oxford/index.xml?ID=addr
- Email addresses will be taken from the OSS data feed. The process works
reasonably well for Postgraduates, as Graduate Admissions used the addresses during the
application process. However, we need to improve the quality of the external contact
email addresses for Undergrads in OSS. Student Information need current working
addresses for following up on Registration issues. Colleges need to inform
email@example.com when they become aware of any
changes to a student's primary external email address.
Other email issues
- Marshal Scholarship ( firstname.lastname@example.org,) and Rhode Scholars(email@example.com).
Currently these programs have a general contact address in OSS. This needs to be the individual's email address for
the student by the time we get to SSO creation. Both Rhode's House and Marshall Scholarship have agreed to ensure
ensure personal addresses are entered, as soon as a College is assigned.
- Registered email address. For security reasons, OUCS will only email
credential information to an address which has been registered to the student either
in OSS or approved by the College and is recorded as an extenal address in the OUCS
- If there is no email address for a student, or the email address
provided fails, the student will not receive their SSO credentials until a working
address has been provided. The student will have to contact their College IT or
OUCS http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/help/request.xml (and OUCS will have to
confirm a new registered address as above.)
- Access to OSS student data. Specialist OUCS staff have Read-Only
access to OSS to check registered email addresses.
- Usernames: Colleges have access to lists of the new usernames via their
- Text for the mail messages is published for reference
- Students will start to be Final C'd from 1st July.
2.1. Other issues
- OUCS currently gets a datafeed from OSS containing applicants external
email addresses. Visiting and Recognized students are also included
- Continuing Education. Some Continuing Educations students are not in OSS
( approx 255 new per year ) these are "Undergraduate, non-matriculated Courses ". They
are issued with University Card type 'PT'. Our contact, Katherine Brown, feels (Jan
2011) that they do not have email addresses for all students in order to develop an
automated process, so they need to stay with the paper version. In the long term,
these students will be in the OSS replacement.
- Early issuing of privileges One of the side effects of the automated
process this year, is that a small group of students (some postgraduates and
unconditional offers) who have completed all their paperwork early, could be issued
with their Oxford email address, etc as early as the 2nd July. However, by this
stage, the student will have signed the University Contract and agreed to abide by all
the rules- they have satisfied all the conditions of 'membership'. No issues were
reported to OUCS concerning the early issueing- in fact many colleges were pleased to
have things in place.
- Mailing details to students will be delayed for 24 hours after account creation,
to enable the username data to get to all the places it needs to eg ldap.oak for
account activation and OSS (in case they contact Student information).
3. From Contract to Credentials- time line
From a undergraduates's POV - time between sending their contract to college and
getting their credentials. This information is needed to manage expectations.
- Day 1: University Contracts arrive at College
- Day 1/2 (/3) College forwards the contract to University Card office by internal
mail- possibly in batches which is why there is a variation.
- Day 3: Card Office Final C the student in OSS - these are usually processed the
day they arrive.
- Day 3: Overnight- OSS puts a skeleton record in the Card Database.
- Day 4: The card forms are processed and the card is printed. (The Card Office
usually processes these day they are become available )
- Day 5:
- early (02:00 to 04:00. The Card data is received by OUCS and accounts are
created. Data is made available to Webauth. A file of data is produced for OSS to
pickup... circa 04:00. ( The timings depend on the length of the job). Data is
available to ITSS.
- (Circa 4am to 7am students whose accounts were created the previous day are
- During the day- resurrected student accounts may be created manually.
- 20.00 hours OSS pick up the file created at 04:00
- Day 6: Circa 4am to 7am Students are emailed their credentials and they are in a
position to Register because the usernames are now in OSS.
- Day 6/7: Addresses which fail are followed up- is there another address in OSS?
OUCS register the new address in OUCS database and send details to new address. If no
address in OSS, OUCS may contact College admissions.
4. Related Processes
- Returning students - no gap. Almost a third of postgraduates were
previously on an undergraduate or postgraduate course at Oxford. In May, we identify
those applying to return in October from data supplied by OSS and extended their
accounts until 12th Oct. .
- Returning after a gap. If there has been a gap in the students enrollment,
their old username no longer be functional. The old account name is re-used. If the
account has been inactive for more than 6 months, it will need a new Activation Code and
that will be emailed to the student as for new students. If the account has been
inactive for less than 6 months, the account is resurrected and the student emailed a
Rescue Code in case the. (This are currently be a manual process by OUCS
5. Future Enhancements
For the year 2012/3 the following enhancements are planned
- Both undergraduates and postgraduates will be notified of their Student Number by
the central 'Offer' process- this will eliminate the need for it to be included in the
account delivery details
- That a more seamless update of students external addresses held centrally in OSS (or
replacement), can be devised.
- That applicants registered mobile phone numbers could be included as part of the
security of the account details delivery.
- That the 'returners after a gap' process is automated or a new account creation
process makes it unnecessary.