3. Lost or stolen cards

If your card is lost, stolen or damaged please inform your College or Department administrator to request a replacement immediately. If it has been lost or stolen, reporting this loss quickly will prevent unauthorised use of your University Card for which you may be held responsible. The Card Office charges a fee to replace a lost card.

If you lose your Card and find it again after a replacement has been issued, you must use the new card and destroy the original. The new card will have a higher barcode number than the old one. All the computerised records will contain only your new barcode, so your old card will not be accepted by IT Services or elsewhere.

Up: Contents Previous: 2. Obtaining a University card Next: 4. Notes for IT Support and Administrative Staff