1. Installing PuTTY
PuTTY can be used on computers running Windows.
- First download the PuTTY software from the Oxford mirror of the PuTTY download page, and then download the file
putty-VERSION-installer.exe, found below the heading A
Windows-style installer (x86 only) for everything except PuTTYtel.
- Once you have downloaded the PuTTY installer to your computer, run the program to
start the installation. You will see the Welcome screen:
Figure 1. PuTTY Welcome screen
- Click next to continue. You will now be asked where to install the program, accept
the default and click the Next button.
Figure 2. Select location screen
- Now you will see the Select Start Menu Folder screen, click on Next to continue.
Figure 3. Select start menu folder screen
- The next screen allows to to select further features for the program. Check the
boxes by the options you require and then click on the Next button.
Figure 4. Selecting additional tasks screen
- The following screen shows you the options you have selected and where the program
will be installed. If you want to change anything, select the Back button. When you are
happy with your choices, click the Next button.
Figure 5. Ready to install screen
- The program will now be installed.
Figure 6. Installing program
- Once completed you will see the Completting the PuTTY setup wizard screen. Click on
Finish to exit setup.
Figure 7. Installation completed screen
Up: Contents Next: 2. Configuring PuTTY
Sections in this document: