1. Description of Service
OxFile is a web service that supports the exchange of large files with people inside and outside of Oxford University. It is simple and fast to use, and any member of the University can setup a file exchange for immediate use.
OxFile can be particularly useful if any of the following service limits are insufficient for your needs:
- Nexus can only send/receive emails less than 100MB in size;
- WebLearn has a 1GB default site limit and a 60Mb file size limit (WebDAV file uploads are limited only by the free capacity of the site) and you need access rights to contribute to one or more sites;
- SharePoint has a 1GB file size limit and is not accessible to non-SSO users.
Typical usage scenarios include: (1) sending a video or document archive to a colleague; (2) sending large electronic documents to a printing company for mass publication; (3) receiving large data sets such as research data from someone at another institution.
The key features of this service are:
- It will accept files that are too large to send by email (up to 25GB);
- It can be used quickly and easily by any member of the University;
- It is self-tidying: files are automatically pruned after a (user-selected) fixed period;
- It can send out notification when files have been up/down loaded;
- Basic security (encrypted file transfer, server verification, and user access control) is included by default
OxFile was launched in May 2011.