1. Client Access Licensing

When purchasing a Microsoft server (Exchange, SharePoint Portal, SQL, Systems Management, Windows or Windows Terminal), a licence is required for each copy of the server software installed. In addition, a client access licence (CAL) is required, for the same server version, for each user or device (or combination of both) that accesses or uses the server software. The only time you do not need a CAL is if:-

  • access is through the Internet and is un-authenticated
  • access is to a server running Windows Server 2003 Web Edition
  • access or use is by an external user and External Connector licences are acquired instead of CALs

Authenticated access is defined as an exchange of user or application credentials between the server software and a user or device. This includes students accessing university servers, connected to the university network, from their own machines. An example of this exception would be unidentified (anonymous) users browsing a public web site.

Downgrade rights are available with CALs, so a client licence for Windows Server 2003 can be used with Windows Server 2000. However, a client licence for Windows Server 2000 cannot be used with Windows Server 2003.

Up: Contents Next: 2. Device-based vs. User-based CALs

Sections in this document: