1. Thames Suite Terms and Conditions
IT Services is part of Oxford
University. The Thames Suite comprises five IT rooms which are available for hire by
University departments and external organisations. There are conditions of use which
these Standard Terms and Conditions set out.
- All bookings made by persons in respect of rooms at IT Services are
accepted subject to the following Terms and Conditions, which shall form the contract
between IT Services and the Hirer.
- In these terms and conditions:
- “IT Services” means Oxford University, IT Services
- “Room” refers to one of the rooms of The Thames Suite,
comprised of Evenlode room, Isis room, Windrush room, Cherwell room, and Kennet
- “Courses Office” means the Course and Administration Office at
IT Services, Banbury Road.
- “Client” means the person in contact with Courses Office
- “Hirer” means any person, persons or representative of the
organisation named in a room booking invoiced by IT Services
- ”In Writing” means by letter/email/fax
1.2. Use of Rooms
- Use of any Room is by permission of IT Services who reserve the
right to refuse any booking or admission at their discretion.
1.3. Room Bookings
- A Room may be provisionally reserved with the Courses
Office. A provisional reservation will be held for 14 working days but will be
released unless confirmation in writing (E-mail/Fax/Post) is received by the
Courses Office. At the point of reservation specific software and computer
requirements, and catering if applicable, must be indicated e.g. Office 2007 and
refreshments for 30 course participants and so on.
- Following confirmation of the reservation by the Courses
Office, the Client must send a Purchase order to confirm the booking
- All booking requests must be confirmed in writing. No
binding contract for the hire of facilities and equipment shall exist until IT Services
has issued its written confirmation of booking.
- The Hirer agrees to confirm to the Courses Office in writing the
final numbers attending (including special dietary requirements), five working
days prior to the event. The number given at this time will be the number
invoiced, unless numbers increase. If numbers are not notified by this time the
IT Services reserves the right to charge for the original estimate of numbers attending,
or actual numbers attending, whichever is the higher.
- Prices quoted are exclusive of VAT which the Hirer shall pay
to IT Services in addition, where due. IT Services reserves the right to alter prices or other
details without notice. However, once IT Service's written confirmation has been issued,
prices quoted will be honoured.
- The Hirer further agrees to pay IT Services such other charges as
arise in accordance with these Terms and Conditions
- Final invoice payment must be received by IT Services within 30 days from
the date of the final invoice.
- Where two or more persons or organisation are named in a
room hire booking invoiced by IT Services they shall be jointly and severally liable
under these Terms and Conditions.
- The Courses office must be informed prior to the event of the ages
of any young persons due to attend. A young person is defined as any person under
the age of 18.
- Rooms are allocated on the basis of minimum/maximum numbers
indicated at the time of booking. Should numbers be different from those agreed,
IT Services has the right to allocate a different room and/or levy an additional room
- The Hirer is in breach of this contract if:
- He fails to pay to IT Services any sum of money payable to IT Services
on the due date
- The function is presented or conducted by the Hirer
other than in accordance with the event content notified to IT Services at the time of
the booking and approved by Course Administration.
1.4.1. Cancellation by IT Services
- IT Services reserves the right to cancel the booking forthwith and
without any liability on its part in the event of the Hirer failing to perform
any of the obligations contained within these Terms and Conditions
- IT Services reserves the right to cancel the booking upon immediate
notice if the holding of the event is prevented by reason of circumstances
beyond the control of IT Services, including but not limited to failure of supply of
electricity or telephone, flood, fire risk, Government restriction, act of war,
or act of God strike, accident, fire, flood or other emergency condition. IT Services
will attempt to give as much notice as possible but in no event shall it be
liable for any loss or damage arising from the cancellation.
1.4.2. Cancellation by the Hirer
- The Hirer may cancel a room hire booking by giving notice in writing. In
the event that the Hirer cancels a Room hire booking, IT Services reserves the
right to impose cancellation charges.
- In excess of 42 working days – Nil
- 28 – 42 working days - 25%
- 14 – 27 working days - 50%
- 8 – 13 working days - 75%
- Less than 7 working days - 100%
- If an event is cancelled 3 working days or less before the
start date, catering charges may also apply.
- The provision of all food and refreshments will be by IT Service's
nominated caterer unless prior written permission has been granted for the use of
an alternative caterer. Permission will be subject to the chosen caterer passing
It Service’s food safety and hygiene audits.
- Special menus to meet dietary, religious or ethnic requirements can
be provided on prior request
- Prices of food and beverage may be subject to change under certain
1.6. Hours of use
- The Hirer and their course participants shall vacate the premises
not later than the time agreed in the confirmation letter. Failure to do so may
result in an extra charge being levied for each hour or part thereof beyond the
agreed time. In addition, if an event exceeds the contracted period of hire and
causes a conflict with a following event, and despite notice does not end, then
IT Services reserves the right to enter the room and end the event forthwith.
1.7. Other Points
- The nature of the function shall be notified to IT Services at the time of
the booking when completing the booking form
- IT Services does not endorse or support the meeting programmes and/or
content of any external function held on its premises.
- The IT Services/University Crest and name are trademarked (Trade Marks Act
1994) and may not be used by any other body.
- In the event that the Hirer uses the IT Services logo or University Crest
and any branding without permission, IT Services reserves the right to cancel the
function without the return of Room Hire payments and any other deposit
pre-payments made and/ or to request the withdrawal/closure of all such publicity
material, website etc at the Hirer’s expense.
- The Hirer will advise IT Services in writing of the identities of all
suppliers of goods and services, approximate delivery times and any third parties,
agents or contractors.
- Permission is required for all photographs, filming within the IT Services
- The Hirer shall not sub-let the hired rooms or any part thereof
without written consent from IT Services
- Hirers external to the University must effect and maintain Public
Liability Insurance, which will indemnify the Hirer, the Hirer’s contractors and
IT Services against any claims, costs, proceedings, charges and expenses incurred in
respect of any injury to any person or loss of or damage to property, which occurs
while the Hirer, its employees, guests or contractors are on or about the premises
of IT Services. The Hirer shall at the request of the IT Services produce to the IT Services the policy
of insurance together with evidence of the payment of the current premium. Any
accident must be reported to IT Services as soon as possible after its occurrence, but in
any event, prior to departing from the IT Services.
1.9. Damage to IT Services property and items not permitted in Rooms
- The Hirer shall leave the rooms in a clean and tidy manner and remove any
articles belonging to them by the end of the hire period.
- The Hirer should not leave the room unattended while unlocked and is
responsible for locking the Room and returning the key at the end of the hire
- The Hirer shall be liable for any loss or damage which may be incurred by
the Hirer or any person or persons in his employ or any person or persons in
his party. The Hirer shall ensure that nothing is fixed to the floors, walls,
ceilings or any other interior or exterior of the buildings by means of nails,
screws, drawing pins, blue tack, glue or any other means unless agreed in
writing with IT Services prior to the function.
1.10. IT Regulations
- Hirers agree to abide the University IT Regulation
1.11. Software Use and Installation
- Machines come with a standard set of software installed.
Please check at the time of booking the software and version that is
- All software used in the Rooms must be covered by a valid
licence. Software installed in the Rooms by IT Services complies with this condition.
It is the responsibility of the hirer to ensure that software installed on
computers brought into the room is correctly licensed.
- Software can only be installed on IT Services computers by prior written agreement
with IT Services. Hirers will need to satisfy IT Services that they have the correct type and
number of licences before installation can commence. Hirers will be responsible
for uninstalling software and licences when necessary.
- Test machines with same configuration and software set as the Rooms are
available and Hirers can use these by prior arrangement to test their
demonstrations and exercises, and connection to external servers etc will work
- IT Services makes no guarantee that hirer’s software will be compatible
with its own hardware and software. It is recommended that hirer’s ask for
technical advice about installing and uninstalling software as part of the booking
1.12. Network connectivity
- By prior arrangement we can provide wireless access e.g. for laptops. IT Services
is not responsible for loss of services by these providers. These services are
governed by their own service level agreements.
- IT Services accepts no responsibility for any hired equipment or
conference equipment provided by, for, or on behalf of the Hirer, left unattended
prior to, during, or after the function.
- IT Services cannot accept responsibility for any items lost or mislaid on
- All items stored are at the Hirer’s risk
- Any items not collected within 24 hours of the end of the function
will be disposed of unless prior arrangements have been made. Items stored outside
these times may incur additional charges
- IT Services will not be responsible for any item sent by courier that gets
lost or damaged or for any items left at IT Servicesafter the event has taken place.
- No additions or alterations to the lighting, loud speakers,
microphones or other electrical arrangements may be made without the written
consent of IT Services. No electrical apparatus may be brought on to the premises
without the written consent of the IT Services who must be satisfied that the equipment
has been checked for safety.
- Laptop computers may be connected to display equipment subject to
the approval of the IT Services IT technician. Hirers are responsible for providing any
connectors and adapters required. Mains chargers for laptops are subject to the
same safety conditions as other electrical equipment.
- IT Services shall not be responsible for any loss or damage to any
property arising out of the holding of a function, or for any loss including but
not limited to any breakdown of machinery, failure of supply of electricity or
telephone, flood, fire risk, Government restriction, act of war, or act of God
strike, accident, fire, flood or other emergency condition which may cause IT Service’s
premises to be temporarily closed, or the function interrupted.
1.14. Fire safety
- No smoking is allowed in any part of the building. The Hirer
shall ensure that there is no interference whatsoever during the period of hire
with fire extinguishers or any other fire fighting equipment except in the case of
an emergency. The Hirer must not interfere with fire doors and doors fitted with
automatic closures. The Hirer shall keep every corridor, passage and exit of the
rooms clear of obstruction and ready for use in an emergency.
1.15. Data Protection Act
- The details of the Hirer and, where different, the Client will be held by
the IT Services on its computer database for use by its accounts department for
maintaining proper records and by the Courses Office for event management and
marketing purposes. It will not be passed on to any third parties.
1.16. Infringement of copyright
- The Hirer shall not use the premises for the showing of a
film, sound recording or broadcast in public or for the
delivery in public of any lecture in which copyright subsists
without the consent of the owner of the said copyright, or in any other manner
infringe any subsisting copyright. The Hirer shall indemnify IT Services against
infringement of copyright occurring during the period of hire.
1.17. Compliance with conditions
- In the event of the refusal to comply with these conditions or
any reasonable instructions given by IT Services, the Hirer and any persons attending the
events may be excluded from the premises. The Hirer will remain liable in respect
of the hire charges as herein contained.
- Any complaint connected with the hire of the premises should
be made to IT Services within seven working days of the function.
- IT Services reserves the right to amend or vary these conditions or
impose additional conditions without notice.