2. Removing Adware/Spyware
- Malwarebytes (free version provides detection and removal; needs to be updated and run the scan manually on free version)
- Ad-Aware (performs detection and removal; free for individual private use only)
- Windows Defender (performs ongoing detection and removal)
- Spybot Search and Destroy (performs detection and removal)
- HijackThis (specifically aimed at home-page hijacking)
- MacScan (for the Apple Macintosh)
Unfortunately, some supposed adware-removal programs exist that are of doubtful quality, or that give inflated numbers of detection warnings to encourage sales, or that even install their own adware. The Spyware Warrior web site gives more information on such products.