OUCS recommends the use of Secure File Transfer Clients rather than standard FTP clients to access your web space.
- Within IE, go to the
[Tools/Internet Options]menu, switch to the
Advancedtab and make sure that the
Enable Folder View for FTP sitesoption is ticked. Also, towards the end of the
[Browsing]section of Advanced settings, make sure the
[Use Passive FTP]box is also ticked.
- Enter the URL of the form:
ftp://email@example.com username is your Herald username.
- When prompted, enter your Herald password
- A window should open containing the folders
public_htmlfolder can then be used like a normal Windows folder. You can upload files by dragging-and-dropping or cutting-and-pasting them into the required location within
- File permissions are automatically set so that anybody can read the files
- Check your page, e.g. by browsing to your homepage
Alternatively, there are many FTP programs easily available from the web; a powerful open source one is FileZilla (http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/). The general procedure to transfer files by FTP is as follows: