This guide to the WinSCP client assumes that you are using a Windows machine, that you already have an activated Oxford Account, and that you have enabled your web space. Our instructions will guide you through the process of connecting to your GNU/Linux Service Home Folder (this is already part of your Oxford Account), through which you can access your user web space securely.
Welcomescreen will appear:
Licence Agreementappears confirming that the software is Free and Open Source. Click on the
Setup typescreen now opens. Click on the
Nextbutton to continue if you are happy to accept the default options. Alternatively you may customise the installation.
- Next select the
Initial User Settingsscreen opens. Choose the
Norton Commander Interfaceif it is not already selected. Click on the
Nextbutton to continue.
- Finally the
Ready to Installscreen shows which components you have chosen to install and where this will be put on your machine. If you want to adjust anything click on the
Backbutton to make changes. If you are happy with your choices press the
- The program will now be installed.
- Once installation is complete you will see the following
Once the installation of the program is complete you can open the program and
begin to use it. To open the program either click on the program icon on your
desktop or find the program in your file programs list (
[All Programs] >
interface is similar to older FTP or File Transfer Protocol Clients.
- Open the program
- You will see the
- Fill in your connection details as follows:
- Click on the
Loginbutton. You will now see a
Connecting to Remote Hostbox which will show various details as the program connects to your GNU/Linux account.
- Once the connection has been successful the program interface will
change to the following layout:
- The left-hand panel shows your local files (on your own computer), the
right-hand panel shows the contents of your home folder on the GNU/Linux
.bash_logout, etc. files are normal and should not be removed.
- Click on the
terminalbutton in the
- A warning message will appear:
- You will now see a new connection being established.
- Once connected you will see the terminal screen:
- In the box marked
Enter Command, type
makeweblinksand press the
- Click the
Closebutton to shut down the terminal window
- In the right-hand panel you should now find two shortcuts to your web
public_html. You will not need to repeat this process again them unless you delete them from your folder .
To add a file from your local machine to your web space:
- Clicking on your
public_htmlfolder in the right hand panel will open up your web file store. You can now transfer files from your machine via drag and drop.
- Navigate to the file using the left hand panel in WinSCP
- Once found, select and drag one, or more, files across to the right hand panel and release into the appropriate web folder.
Copy Fileconfirmation alert will appear.
- Click on the
Copybutton to transfer the file to your web space:
To delete a file from your web space:
- Select the file in the right hand panel by clicking on its name
- Press the
<Delete>key on your keyboard.
- You will see an alert message asking you to confirm the deletion:
OKto delete the file.
Quitting the program