"Art and Photography" web sites
31 online resources. This is page 3 of 4.
- World War I Photograph Albums and PostcardsL NYPL Digital Collection
- The NYPL Digital Collection provides access to thousands of digitised images of primary resource materials held in the collections of the New York Public Library and its archives. This collection contains over 400 examples of photographs and postcards relating to World War one 1914-1918. They include drawings from American soldiers serving in France; a series of German photographic postcards; and a French automaker's published album. Topics covered include military scenes, battles, images of soldiers and trenches. Each image has a full bibliographic description. Copyright details are …
- World war one color photos
- The World War One Colour Photos website provides exactly what the title suggests - colour photographs from the First World War. The site brings together hundreds of photographs, mainly of French troops or taken by the French army. The subject matter of the photographs consists predominantly of desolate scenes of destroyed buildings, and groups of soldiers at the front, but there are other more peaceful scenes, such as those of villages that had actually escaped the shelling. Many of the pictures are annotated in English and French (the English being a translation by the site's autho…
- Art and Vision of Stanley Spencer
- An essay on Stanley Spencer.
- Entering Spencer's world at war
- In the Telegraph (Nov 2008), to mark the 90th anniversary of the armistice, Sophie Campbell visits the Sandham Memorial Chapel, adorned by Stanley Spencer's amazing paintings.
- First World War.com : Satirical Magazines of the First World War : Punch and the Wipers Times
- An article from the First World War.com website.
- Flickr Group : The Great War Archive
- The Great War Archive is closed for submissions, BUT you can upload your images to Flickr and add them to our group.
- Flickr Group : World War I
- A group on Flickr, a photo sharing website.
- Imperial War Museum : Camouflage
- The website to accompany this exhibition from 2007 which explored the impact of camouflage on modern warfare and its adoption into popular culture.
- The Heritage of the Great War / First World War 1914-1918
- A Dutch website in English/Dutch with graphic colour photos, pictures and music, as well as thought-provoking articles.
- US National Archives : Teaching With Documents : Photographs of the 369th Infantry and African Americans during World War I
- A lesson plan with downloadable resources and a bibliography about the American 369th Infantry (the "Harlem Hellfighters"), an all-black regiment under the command of mostly white. From the website of the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration.
These resource summaries © The Intute Consortium.