"In the News" web sites
68 online resources. This is page 3 of 7.
- How we remember them: the 1914-18 war today
- OpenDemocracy.com (Nov 2008): 'The ninetieth anniversary of the end of the first world war is being commemorated in Britain in ways that close as well as open routes to a genuine exploration of the national past, says Dan Todman.'
- In the line of fire : Guardian Unlimited Books
- 'The most moving accounts of the 20th century's two great conflicts were written in verse. As British troops withdraw from Basra city, James Campbell asks where are the war poets of today?' (2007)
- Indian army's role in WWI
- BBC News film-clip (Nov 2008) : A Leicester group visited France to see memorials to Sikh soldiers killed in World War I.
- Jean Moorcroft Wilson on Isaac Rosenberg : Visions from the trenches : Guardian Unlimited Books
- 'Unlike the celebrated officer-poets of the first world war, Isaac Rosenberg was a private soldier. A Jewish East Ender and a talented artist, he was a reluctant army recruit. Jean Moorcroft Wilson argues that his poetry, unjustly neglected, gives a unique perspective on the horrors of war' (2003)
- Kelly honours Armistice Day
- BBC News film-clip (Nov 2008) : Matthew Kelly has been researching the history of his great uncle in World War I ahead of the 90th anniversary of the Armistice.
- Last female WWI veteran dies
- The Scotsman (Aug 2008), by Liam Creedon: about Gladys Powers died aged 109 in British Columbia, Canada.
- Making Connections
- A BBC News (Video Nation) film 'Jo from The Chase High School in Malvern wasn't really moved by the First World War memorials she saw in France and Belgium until she found her family name inscribed three times at Vimy Ridge.'
- Marking 90th Armistice date
- BBC News film-clip (Nov 2008) : Troops from the East Midlands who fought in the Great War have been remembered 90 years on.
- Museum remembers Armistice
- BBC News film-clip (Nov 2008) : The Imperial War Museum at Duxford has been preparing to mark the 90th anniversary of the end of World War I.
- Not with a bang : Guardian Unlimited Books
- James Fenton on poets and explosive events (Sept 2007)
These resource summaries © The Intute Consortium.