Reasons to be Saving
- Global warming?
- Current financial constraints
- Need to make the most efficient use of the funds available
- Council has agreed to implement a carbon management strategy:
Aims to reduce CO2 emissions
OUCS hosts virtualised servers and has considerable experiences of running virtual servers under VMware ESX and vSphere, at low cost. Virtulaisation saves money and space. Most UAS servers are virtual machines running on hardware managed by OUCS.
- Saved 1,050,000 kWh/annum
- Led to savings of £78750/annum
- At 7.5p per kWh the initial costs should be covered in under 4 years.
- If the electricity price increases, payback will be more rapid.
Already have virtualisation hardware?
OUCS has new, custom-built machine room. We can offer:
Save money and energy by turning off computers when not in use. This technology enables people to turn on computers remotely (e.g. from home), which is a common reason why people leave computers turned on. Older pilot service is now being replaced with a more sophisticated offering (e.g. remove restriction on being limited to one subnet).
Contact email@example.com to discuss implementing WOL in your College or Department.
- Free simple web hosting
- Web design and consultancy from the Web Design Service
- Application development from Infodev
- Servers - virtual or physical
Some Examples of Our Work:
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information on OUCS’s web services.
Do you need one?
- University network is under constant attack
- Main University firewall has to have unrestrictive rules
- Many departments and colleges have local firewalls
- OUCS offers a managed firewall service
Your reputation is valuable and you don’t want to waste money dealing with data loss. Information Security affects everyone especially those of us responsible for how our departments and colleges operate. Recent self assessment tool showed it as a weak point.
Security breaches can cost reputation and money. The Information Security Best Practice Group can provide help with Policy and a Toolkit including specific advice for Bursars and Administrators.
The Research Technologies Service (RTS) in OUCS provides a centre of expertise to support research projects and to develop research infrastructure. http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/rts/.
OUCS offers advice on:
- Designing the technical aspects of the project
- Setting up the IT for the project
- Doing the work of the project
- The end of the project and beyond
Contact email@example.com for details.
The OUCS Help centre is a backstop and source of extra expertise and temporary capacity. Support should always be sought from your own IT staff (the “local IT staff”) first
Help desk is available 8.30am - 8:30pm, Mon-Fri
Open user area
Help Centre chargeable services can take the load off your own IT Support Staff
- Hardware assessments and repairs available
- We will advise against uneconomic repair
- We’re Apple-accredited so can do warranty work
- Backups and re-installs offered
- Take the load off ITSS to let them be more strategic and do more interesting things
- Specific expertise not economical at the unit level
Breakdown cover is not just for cars!
- Hardware breakdown cover available for College, Department and Personal computers and more including iPods
- Extremely favourable rates
- Covers accidental damage too
- Can “book” to start at end of warranty
- Induction for new (and rusty!) staff
- Rich web resources including Wiki
- Tools for local user management
- Priority helpdesk and registration access
- Technical training
- BCS group membership
- “Lunch and Learn” seminars
- Annual Conference and Exhibition
- Social events – invaluable for networking
We can help recruit new IT staff as well as support existing staff
- Many experienced recruiters and managers in OUCS
- We will Shortlist and Interview with you
- We have a large stock of Job Descriptions and Adverts
- We’re up-to-date with best practice training
- Job description reviews (for re-grades) offered
- Help with workplace IT related issues – but we are IT experts, not Personnel Services!
Courses, Facilities and Expertise
- Wide range of courses available
- Huge saving on commercial offerings
- Course books available in ITLP portfolio
- We’re an Apple authorised training centre
- Lecture rooms are state-of-the-art
- And you can hire them!
- We can advise on creating your own
- We have lots of kit you can try
- Guidance & advice on teaching with technology
- Pedagogical expertise on tap…
See the Thames Suite pages for information about our rooms and how to hire them.
See our courses section to view and book one of our many courses.
Virtual Learning Environment - WebLearn
- Brings together teaching and learning activities
- Many tools and functions
- Tutorial sign-up
- Reading lists
- And lots more
We can help you formulate policies on and safely use:
- OxItems & RSS (news syndication and use on websites)
- Text messaging to mobile phones
- Emergency use
- Reminder use
- Out-of-term use
- WebEx Service and Skype byte-size course - including for interviewing
Oxford’s iTunesU brings your material to their iPhone, iPad, iPod etc. via iTunes
- Reach potential students – attract good candidates
- Reach current students – distribute course material
- Reach alumni – maximise development opportunities
- We offer wide expertise in recording, editing and distributing online material and can do as much or as little for you as you wish
- We know all the legal issues and can help you through them
- 8 million downloads in first 2 years!
- Find a library book, find a bus, find a lecture, find a post box: all from a mobile
- Personal computing is moving from laptops to mobiles
- Quick way to get info to students and staff
- We can work with you to provide your information
- Mobile Oxford is an award-winning service
- Ideal for non-eduroam users
- Resource for organisers, porters etc.
- Laptop hire (via ITSS)
- Favourable rates and custom configurations
- For in-house teaching as well as conferences
OUCS has wide experience in:
How to point your users at our services
- Our marketing materials are available on our web site
- Displays in common areas
- Use in information packs
- Brighten up student computer rooms
- Remember you don’t have to provide everything
Have you got an OUCS rep?
- Reps scheme provides a contact point for a unit other than via IT Staff
- Enables non-technical dialogue about things that OUCS offers
- Reps are high-level and strategic
- Many senior OUCS staff involved
- Bring OUCS reports to meetings & committees if you wish
- Will work in the best way to fit your needs
- Always work in consultation with ITSS