- Data Backup - where the condition of the hard drive permits, data is copied to external media
- System Reinstall - where proof of a valid operating system licence can be provided, the hard disk is formatted and the licenced operating system is installed together with all required drivers, recommended system updates and the Sophos anti-virus package.
The service makes a non-refundable minimum labour charge which is deducted from the final bill for any work carried out, but remains with OUCS to cover the costs of administrative and diagnostic work if we are unable to recover any data. See www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/helpcentre/pcsupport/backup-reinstall.xml for an overview of charges for the service.
2.1 Machines can be submitted for this service during the normal help desk hours which can be found on the Help Centre web pages.
2.3 Files (typically user documents, images, music etc.) are backed up from the client's hard drive onto external media - where possible an external hard drive provided by the customer, but CDs or DVDs can be used. Other backup media may be used by prior agreement. The basic charge includes the backup of data to a maximum of 4 CDs or 2 DVDs with the cost of the blank media being included in the charge. There is no reduction in cost for client-supplied backup media, but data can be backed up onto it up to the medias' capacity at no extra charge.
2.5 OUCS will, as far as possible, backup the files specified by the client, provided they are accessible when connecting their disk drive to a working machine. OUCS does not perform specialist hardware recovery procedures on unreadable hard disks.
- Supplying proof of ownership of an original (e.g. Microsoft Windows) licence when using the reinstall service.
- Reinstalling all application software (except Sophos Anit-virus) which was on the machine . The reinstall service does not include application software.
- Clearly specifying whether data needs to the backed up and if so, which files are required.
- Where possible, supplying the original Windows and driver disks.
- If required, supplying an external hard disk or USB memory stick for storing backed up files.
- Paying the minimum labour charge via the OUCS On-line Shop before submitting their machine for the service.
- Paying for all chargeable work carried out via the OUCS On-line Shop before the equipment is returned.
- Treating Help Centre staff with courtesy.
The OUCS Backup/Reinstall Service is a chargeable service - see rates and conditions at www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/helpcentre/pcsupport/backup-reinstall.xml
4.2 For a charge calculated per extra 4 CDs or 2 DVDs, the client can request more data to be backed up than the 9 GB maximum of the standard service. If the client provides their own external media, data can be backed up onto it up to the media's capacity at no extra charge.