Kerberos enables users to authenticate to other applications and services, with the additional convenience of supporting single sign-on and same sign-on. Kerberos does not require the user to transmit their password over the network, or expose it to the service they wish to use, thereby offering a consistent assurance of security of their credentials.
A full service description is available from http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/services/iam/kerberos/
Users should seek support from their local ITSS in the first instance. Local ITSS may refer a user to OUCS, or contact OUCS on behalf of a user. Users and ITSS may always contact OUCS about any aspect of the service.
- 9am - 5pm on weekdays: the service operates with full technical support.
- All other times: the service operates without technical support. Automated service monitoring will take place, and informal arrangements exist for staff to be notified of exceptions, however no funding is provided for contractual cover or guaranteed response.
- Exclusions: service maintenance carried out during the JANET maintenance period (7am - 9am every Tuesday).
2.5 Recovery will restore user authentication functionality using account data retrived from backup (less than 1 day old). Recovery may not include other functions such as password change or administration of (e.g. Webauth) principals.
2.6 There is no alternative service, however some individual systems may support alternative authentication configurations such as the creation of local user accounts to enable access in the event of an extended outage.
2.9 Service requests and fault reports relating to the service should be sent to the OUCS Help Desk.
- Regulations Relating to the use of Information Technology Facilities
- JANET(UK) Statement of JANET acceptable use policy
- CHEST Code of Conduct for Site Licensed Software and Datasets
- University Policy on Data Protection
- Any local policy defined by the unit from which you use this service