5. If you have not used Netnews before
The group news.announce.newusers contains additional information.
A list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Netnews at Oxford is posted regularly to several local newsgroups.
- Never forget that the person on the other side is human.
- Don't blame system admins for their users' behaviour.
- Never assume that a person is speaking for their organization.
- Be careful what you say about others.
- Be brief.
- Your postings reflect upon you; be proud of them.
- Use descriptive titles
- Think about your audience.
- Be careful with humour and sarcasm.
- Only post a message once.
- Summarize what you are following up.
- If appropriate, reply by email rather than posting a follow-up.
- Read all follow-ups and don't repeat what has already been said.
- Double-check follow-up newsgroups and distributions.
- Be careful about copyrights and licenses.
- Cite appropriate references.
- When summarizing, summarize.
- Mark answers or spoilers.
- Spelling flames considered harmful.
- Don't overdo signatures.
- Limit line length and avoid control characters.
- Please be sensible about advertising.