1. OUCS Wins £1.2 million for Cloud Project – VIDaaS
This Project will provide a local virtual infrastructure (VI) which will interface with a national Higher Education VI – or 'cloud' – to enable the sharing of services across the whole HE sector. As a result there will be substantial cost savings through economies of scale. Oxford will also collaborate with Eduserv to develop the hybrid VI and with JANET to investigate hosting the DaaS on private VIs.
The virtual infrastructure (VI) will host a self-service ‘Database as a Service’ (DaaS) system which will give researchers a way of creating, configuring, editing and querying databases through a simple Web interface which is flexible and intuitive to use. This will help improve the efficiency of UK Higher Education research. The DaaS component is to be developed from the prototype which was created as part of OUCS’s Supporting Data Management Infrastructure for the Humanities (SUDAMIH) Project, and which is currently in use by researchers at Oxford University. Functionality will be extended to meet the common requirements of researchers beyond the humanities and to cater for different database types, in addition to the traditional relational database.
There will also be a focus on training to enable researchers to plan from the beginning of a research activity how they should manage and curate the data they generate. User support materials, courses and documentation will be developed in close collaboration with the Digital Curation Centre.
VIDaaS is a groundbreaking project which will provide researchers with the self-service database tool, the shared virtual infrastructure and the training to support their growing needs into the future.
Further information is online or contact James Wilson on 01865 213489, james.wilson AT oucs.ox.ac.uk.
- 2. The Great War Archive Rolls Out in Europe
- 3. What Exactly Does OUCS Do?
- 4. The Internet has Run Out!
- 5. OWL Comes to The Great Outdoors
- 6. Who is Henryk Glogowski?
- 7. Internet Security Best Practice
- 8. Implementing the CUD
- 9. You Have Won £20,000!
- 10. Early Adopters Wake Up to SharePoint 2010
- 11. Top Tips for Screen Casting
- 12. Congratulations Mobile Oxford!
- 13. Mobile Oxford 1.0 has arrived
- 14. Applying IT Expertise to Community Support Activities
- 15. Open Spires
- 16. Having Problems with your Spreadsheet Data?
- 17. OxTALENT - Oxford’s IT in Teaching and Learning Awards 2011
- 18. Digital Media Courses: Looking from the Inside Out
- 19. Find It. Keep It. Get Happy
- 20. Embedding Oxford Podcasts in your WebLearn Site is Easy!
- 21. WebLearn Bite-sized Video Tutorials
- 22. WebLearn Mobile Polls Pilot Project
- 23. WebLearn Courses
- 24. Designing your Unit’s WebLearn Presence
- 25. Migration from Old WebLearn
- 26. Turnitin: Who’s Who and What’s What
- 27. Conducting a survey?
- 28. Supporting Shared Services - the University Shared Data Centre
- 29. Poster Printing at OUCS
- 30. Red Nose Day Channel Swim
- 31. Artweeks at OUCS: 2011
- 32. Grand Giveaway!