1. Product Information
Oxford University is licenced to use a number of the security products available from Sophos. Registered Oxford University IT Support Staff (register via Self-Registration) are able to access all of the products available under the current licence; selected products are also available to any member of the University. This page outlines the various products available, and includes information on the main features and links to download locations.
- Sophos Anti-Virus
- Enterprise Console 3
- Sophos Client Firewall
- Network Access Control
- Sophos Mobile Security
The Enterprise Console component installs to a Windows server and allows you to update, manage and monitor installations of Sophos Anti-Virus from a central console. Managed systems may be running Windows, OS X or Linux. Systems may be grouped as required and policies that specify the way in which Sophos updates, scans and disinfects systems can be configured and deployed from the central console. Other features include reporting and synchronisation with Active Directory.
If you want to be able to fully manage and monitor the Sophos installations on all of your managed server and desktop systems, this is the product for you. Although the console requires a Windows server to run, it will allow you to manage Sophos installations on Windows, OS X and Linux. It will also manage update sources (but not allow monitoring or configuration of policies) for a number of other platforms such as Netware and various flavours of unix.
The Sophos Network Access Control (NAC) component requires Sophos Enterprise Console 3.1. Note that the version of Sophos NAC that is included in the Sophos Endpoint Security and Control Suite is not as fully featured as Sophos NAC advanced (which is not included in the site licence). Sophos provide a feature comparison list on their website.
Sophos Mobile Security is a self-contained package that supports a number of Windows Mobile editions. Sophos provide an overview which includes a list of the editions supported.
Registered Oxford University IT Support Staff can download components of the Sophos Endpoint Security and Control Suite from the OUCS ITSS Downloads site.
If you are using PureMessage on Exchange, please read the following Sophos advisory as a hotfix is required for some installations.
Registered Oxford University IT Support Staff can download PureMessage from the OUCS ITSS Downloads site.
Unconfigured standalone installers are available for a wide range of platforms including Windows (from 95), OS X, Linux, Netware and various flavours of unix. These are appropriate for departments and colleges that are not able or do not wish to run the full EndPoint Security and Control suite.
The standalone versions for Windows, OS X and Linux are also available preconfigured with credentials to allow them to automatically update from Sophos. These are designed to be easy to install with no configuration needed. They are available for Windows 2000/XP/2003/2008/Vista, OS X and certain versions of Linux. Two editions are available — University and Personal.
- University Edition
- The University edition is for use on machines owned by the Collegiate University only. It may not be installed on machines owned by individuals. Three versions are available, for Windows 2000/XP/2003/2008/Vista, OS X and Linux. These clients are configured to update directly from Sophos using credentials that will not expire.
- Personal Edition
- The Personal edition is for use on laptops and desktops machines owned by individuals who are members of the Collegiate University. Again three versions are available, for Windows 2000/XP/Vista, OS X and Linux. These also update directly from Sophos; however the credentials used expire on an annual basis (generally in November). This ensures that people who leave the University cannot continue to update Sophos once they are no longer entitled to. A new version with updated credentials is normally available from August or September each year and should be downloaded and installed before the old credentials expire in order to maintain access to updates.
If you are not sure which edition of the installer you have, or which edition is installed on a Windows PC, there are a number of ways to tell. For the installer, when run it will first unpack its files and then present a splash screen with a button to start the installation. At the bottom of this screen you will see For Personally-Owned PCs or For University-Owned PCs. For any operating system, once installed, you can tell from the username used to download updates from Sophos. Current usernames are shown in the IT Support Staff wiki (restricted access).
- Preconfigured University editions are available to registered Oxford University IT Support Staff from the OUCS ITSS Downloads site
- Preconfigured Personal editions are available to individual members of the University from the OUCS Registration pages.
- Unconfigured versions are available to registered Oxford University IT Support Staff from the OUCS ITSS Downloads site
- Credentials to allow updating of unconfigured versions direct from Sophos are available to registered Oxford University IT Support Staff from the ITSS Support Staff site